I love the bold flavor of these hearty sandwiches. They cook quickly on the grill and taste great whether they're topped with salsa or guacamole.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 beef flank steak (1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 French rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup salsa or guacamole, optional
- Pound steak to 1/4-in. thickness. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the onion, oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, salt and cumin; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Slice meat across the grain. Serve on rolls. Top with salsa or guacamole if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Texas-Style Steak Sandwiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p138
Reviews forTexas-Style Steak Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review