Texas-Style Steak Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 beef flank steak (1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 French rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup salsa or guacamole, optional
- Pound steak to 1/4-in. thickness. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the onion, oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, salt and cumin; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Slice meat across the grain. Serve on rolls. Top with salsa or guacamole if desired.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 423 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 479mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 23, 2013
The meat was delicious, but the sandwich still felt sort of plain and the guacamole squished out as you ate the sandwich. Next time will do it up with a chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato slices, avocado slices, red onion and maybe some fresh jalapeno slices.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.