- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil for about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir until coated with oil. Add tomatoes, turmeric, cumin, salt, garlic powder and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Add cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTexas-Style Spanish Rice
"Yum!! I also used the whole can of tomatoes but undrained. I love the turmeric and cumin combination. Will definitely be making this one again!"
"Not sure if I did something wrong, but this wasn't as great as I expected it to be. I could taste the spices and the tomato was a good addition, but it didn't really have anything to it. I wound up putting a little extra salt on it (which I NEVER do) and it actually helped bring out the rest of the flavors. I cut the recipe in half, and used 1/2C diced tomatoes. It's possible I didn't drain the tomatoes well enough and the extra liquid caused the taste to dilute. I will try this again, adding in the corn like others suggested next time, and maybe just a tad more salt."
"Very good and easy...I drained the tomatoes and used the whole can."
"We loved this!! I used the whole can of tomatoes, too, like one of the other reviewers. I don't normally care for Spanish rice, but this is tasty!!"
"I made this recipe yesterday and it was delish. My son enjoyed it. It was easy and didn't require a lot of ingredients."
"Wow this is good. Only change was using brown rice. Next time I may use corn as others suggested but no need to mess with this recipe much."
"This is a great recipe. The spice level is perfect!. I usually use brown rice and add some frozen corn. This recipe is a keeper!"
"This is AWESOME !! Your modified twists are beyond great !! ABSOLUTELY a keeper ! Front page status in my cookbook ! To all readers deciding if they want to try this rice... don't hesitate and don't look any further ! Wonderful flavor and really the best we have ever had ! Thank you for this recipe !!"
"Loved this recipe, made it tonight for the first time and we thought it was Great!! I added a bit of frozen corn to it and didn't have green pepper so I used orange & red bell instead. This is going on my favorties list for sure!!!"
"My family really enjoyed the favor of this dish. I tripled the recipe and used brown rice and it came out perfect!"