Texas Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) hominy, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced potatoes, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chili powder to taste
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings.
If your family doesn't care for hominy, you can use a 15-ounce can of green beans (drained) instead.
1 serving: 223 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Texas Stew
"my family really loved it.i make it often."
"Homiiny is traditionally a southern dish but it is corn that has been soaked in a weak lye solution. It comes either white or yellow. If you have a Wal-mart, they have their own brand. Bush also has canned hominy, but look close to the corn in your supermarket."
"I'm sorry for my ignorance but what is hominy? Judith"