- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Remove from the heat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; add to cocoa mixture. Stir in the sour cream until smooth.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter; add milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over warm cake. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forTexas Sheet Cake
"Absolutely delicious cake ! Will make again."
"This cake is moist and chocolaty good! Thanks for the recipe!!"
"Per suggestions, I substituted 1 cup espresso for tge water and was happy how the cake turned out. Left the icing recipe alone and found it to be fudgy and delicious. For those who had trouble with it beng too mushy, low fat sour cream may have been the culprit. I made that mistake with a different recipe and the middle of the cake never got dne."
"We have made this over and over and it always turns out incredibly. Moist, rich, and absolutely irresistible. This is a go-to for my family for any occasion and we are always hounded for the recipe!"
"YUCK!!!! PLEASE don't waste your time and money on this recipe! I have a Texas Sheet cake recipe that turns out great everytime I make it, but I wasn't so lucky with this recipe. The thought of an eggless cake intrigued me, so I decided to try this recipe. I followed the directions to the T, but my cake came out gooey, misshapen, and it tasted TERRIBLE!!! The frosting was even off. I had to toss the entire cake, I didn't even make it past one bite. Do yourself a favor and find a different recipe."
"This cake is incredible, however, the recipe is missing 2 eggs."
"I haven't made this recipe in ages but I needed a simple dessert to serve at a dinner for 30 young men. I like it because it is a one pan mix and easy clean-up. Pan size is important - I do have a larger jelly roll pan and I would estimate it would need a recipe and a half to fill it. Mine raised just to the edge of the shallow pan. . . make sure you use baking soda NOT baking powder. I wasn't paying attention and did that to one batch. The frosting is fine but actually it is a bit too much for the size - not sure half a recipe would be enough but the full recipe was too much. Otherwise it is simple. If you want to cut calories you can go with 1/2 stick butter and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and I used low-fat sour cream. You can also use Splenda for the sugar."
"The cake had an inconsistent texture and the frosting was, for lack of better description, strange. The entire thing was un-servable."
"my icing did not turn out like picture, followed the directions, how do I get it like the photoThanks"