When I lived in Texas, I decided to create a cocktail that represented my new home. I've found that blood orange juice works just as well as the grapefruit juice. —Danny Schneider, Omaha, NE
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 ounces tequila
- 2 jalapeno peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup simple syrup
- Place tequila and jalapenos in a small bowl. Let stand 2-3 hours.
- Using water, moisten the rims of four margarita or cocktail glasses. Mix salt and sugar on a plate; hold each glass upside down and dip rim into salt mixture. Set aside. Discard remaining salt mixture on plate.
- Strain tequila into a small bowl, discarding jalapenos. Stir in grapefruit juice and simple syrup. Serve in prepared glasses over ice. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Texas Red River Margaritas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p12