- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds), halved
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 325°. Mix first seven ingredients; rub over brisket. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; brown beef, one piece at a time, on both sides. Return first piece to pan. Add broth and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Bake, covered, until beef is tender, 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 hours. Remove brisket from pan; keep warm. Discard bay leaf; skim fat from cooking juices. Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with cooking juices. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forTexas Oven-Roasted Beef Brisket
"No, this recipe didn't do it for us. Despite the fact it smelled great, it just didn't have much flavor. I used a 2.5 pound brisket but kept the measurements the same. I have much better and flavorful recipes for brisket I will stick with. Sorry!"