- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, cook onion in remaining oil for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a food processor. Cover and process until blended; set aside.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potatoes in a large bowl. Squeeze softened garlic into bowl; add the butter, sour cream, cheese, milk, salt, pepper and onion. Beat until mashed.
Freeze option: Place cooled mashed potato mixture in a freezer container and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe bowl until heated through, stirring twice and adding a little milk if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTexas Garlic Mashed Potatoes
"I love garlic mashed potatoes and these were so easy and delicious. Very flavorful and creamy. Will make again."
"I like the creaminess of cream cheese, so I added softened cream cheese to this. It was perfect."
"I didn't add sour cream but I added milk. It still tasted great!"
"Very nice! A crowd pleaser!"
"This is the best mashed potato recipe ever!"
"Awesome potatoes! Loved them!!"
"Wow! Awesome! Bit hit with all. Served more like 4 in my family rather than 6. I think most went back for seconds."
"Yum! Yum! Yum! I happened to serve this with a lemon chicken recipe, and they flavor complimented it perfectly! :)"
"This was delicious! I didn't bother puréed the onions, I just added them in as they were."
"Ok so I'm jumping the gun a bit! But this sounds amazing. I am making it today for Thanksgiving. so I will come back and let you know for sure. I'm pretty confident that this is gonna be great!"