- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate cloves. Cut top off of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Brush cut cloves with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in foil. Bake until cloves are soft, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, heat remaining oil. Add onion; cook until golden brown, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a food processor. Process until blended; set aside.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain; return to pan. Squeeze softened garlic onto potatoes; add butter, sour cream, cheese, milk, salt, pepper and onion. Beat until mashed.
Freeze option: Place cooled mashed potato mixture in a freezer container and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high, stirring twice and adding a little milk if necessary, until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTexas Garlic Mashed Potatoes
"I love garlic mashed potatoes and these were so easy and delicious. Very flavorful and creamy. Will make again."
"I like the creaminess of cream cheese, so I added softened cream cheese to this. It was perfect."
"I didn't add sour cream but I added milk. It still tasted great!"
"Very nice! A crowd pleaser!"
"This is the best mashed potato recipe ever!"
"Awesome potatoes! Loved them!!"
"Wow! Awesome! Bit hit with all. Served more like 4 in my family rather than 6. I think most went back for seconds."
"Yum! Yum! Yum! I happened to serve this with a lemon chicken recipe, and they flavor complimented it perfectly! :)"
"This was delicious! I didn't bother puréed the onions, I just added them in as they were."
"Ok so I'm jumping the gun a bit! But this sounds amazing. I am making it today for Thanksgiving. so I will come back and let you know for sure. I'm pretty confident that this is gonna be great!"