Texas Corn Chowder
THIS RECIPE has been a favorite in our family for years. Now that we have an empty nest, I took it upon myself to cut the recipe down to serve two so we can still enjoy it. The jalapeno adds a little zip and color! -Mildred Sherrer, Bay City , Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup diced peeled potato (1 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno or green chilies
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash paprika
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Add the potato, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until potato is tender. Add the corn, jalapeno, milk and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.