Texas Chili Fries
The delicious chili goes together in minutes and then cooks while you run errands. The only way I can think to make it even better is to pour it over crisp french fries and sprinkle with cheese. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 envelope (1.25 ounces) chili seasoning mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 packages (32 ounces each) frozen french-fried potatoes
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- Place onion and carrot in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Toss beef with 2 tablespoons flour. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; brown beef in batches. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Drain tomatoes; reserving liquid. In a small bowl, whisk drained liquid, chili seasoning and remaining flour until blended; pour over beef. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and peppers. Cook, covered, on low 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Prepare fries according to package directions. Serve chili over fries; sprinkle with cheese. If desired, top with sour cream and jalapeno slices.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 374 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 824mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Tex Mex Slow Cooker Chili in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.