Texas Barley Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, corn, red pepper, cucumber, onions and barley.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 155 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
May 17, 2010
This is a fabulous salad! Pretty much the only thing I did different from the recipe was to up the spices a bit, but it still wasn't over the top spicy- just right IMO. I made it the night before for our lunches the next day. This will be a regular at our house!