- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, corn, red pepper, cucumber, onions and barley.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forTexas Barley Salad
"This is a fabulous salad! Pretty much the only thing I did different from the recipe was to up the spices a bit, but it still wasn't over the top spicy- just right IMO. I made it the night before for our lunches the next day. This will be a regular at our house!"