- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Stir in the ketchup, chilies, broth, chili sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spread cut sides of buns with butter. Place on baking sheets, buttered side up. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve beef mixture in buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTex-Mex Sloppy Joes
"These are my FAVORITE! I made them just as directed. I will mak these again and again! So much wonderful flavor."
"Very good! I doubled except only 1 can chilies, 1 1/2 c ketchup, no red pepper flakes, and I threw in a couple tablespoons of my taco seasoning. I will be making these again."
"These were very good, however I didn't really pick up a big "tex-mex" flavor."
"Delicious! I added a little brown sugar to it, but didn't change anything else. I'll make this again, definitely."
"This is the best sloppy joe recipe I have ever had! We love spicy in our family and this has just the right amount! Even my 8 year old son loved them and he usually doesn't eat sloppy joes!"
"This will be our "go to" sloppy joe recipe. Hubby an I love the spiciness of this. Hubby said this will be his carry-in contribution for his companies annual Christmas party. Thanks for sharing the recipe."
"These are by far the best sloppy joes I have ever had and my new favorite recipe. For my personal tastes I use dry minced onion and leave out the green chilies but for a crowd I do it as written."
"Made this for a 'handful of men' at a men's meeting & was sorry to learn they didn't like it. The other reviews were so favorable."