Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack
"This zesty Southwestern-style dip, served with tortilla wedges, is perfect for tailgating and after-game parties...or for any fun occasion," says Pat Habiger of Spearville, Kansas. "If you're adventurous, you might want to add green chiles or hot peppers."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Cut each tortilla into six wedges; arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spray tortillas with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp; remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon over rice onto a serving platter. Top with turkey mixture, cheese and green onions. Arrange tortilla wedges around edge of platter.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 202 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Rice and Bean Snack in Light & Tasty February/March 2005