"I sometimes treat my friends at work to these peppy pitas at lunchtime," relates Helen Overman from Pottsboro, Texas. "I prepare everything in advance, so the spicy sandwiches can just be zapped in the microwave."
Recommended: Pizza Recipes Across America
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- Pinch ground cumin
- 7 pita breads (6 inches), halved
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, water, beans, tomatoes and cumin. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup into each pita half; top with about 2 tablespoons cheese and a few jalapeno slices. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Pitas in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p45
Reviews forTex-Mex Pitas
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review