Tex-Mex Green Bean Salad
This salad is a family favorite at cookouts. It's especially good with barbecued beef, which is so popular here in Texas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Lettuce leaves
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Place the beans and salt in a saucepan; add a small amount of water. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse in cold water; drain.
- In a bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, onions, pepper and cumin. Add beans and toss to coat. Serve on a bed of lettuce. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 65 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Green Bean Salad in Country August/September 1997