Tex-Mex Chicken with Black Beans & Rice Recipe
- 6 chicken leg quarters, skin removed
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning; transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, soup, onion, chilies and remaining taco seasoning; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Prepare rice according to package directions. Stir in beans; heat through.
- 3. Remove chicken from cooking juices; stir sour cream into cooking juices. Serve chicken with rice mixture and sauce. Sprinkle servings with cheese, tortilla chips and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 590 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 1461mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
Reviews for Tex-Mex Chicken with Black Beans & Rice
"This was good, but next time I will definitely add some jalapeno or something to kick up the heat. I thought this would be spicy, but was disappointed. I actually used meat from the drumstick instead of leg quarters thrown in whole. I also added the black beans to the chicken mixture instead of the rice. It just made more sense that way."
"This is phenomenal! I modify it just a bit and use chicken breasts, as we prefer white meat. And, I double the soups so it makes extra sauce and I add the black beans into the cooker. It's become 1 of my husband's favorite dishes and makes great leftovers!"
"This was good. I thought it would be spicier but it t was quite mild, especially considering I used Rotel. Sauce was thin even after adding sour cream. I was expecting something a bit thicker. Was that the case for everyone? Next time I may add more spice and cook down the sauce to a thicker consistency."
"It was spicy and had a lot of flavor. I didn't use the chips and I used two cans of Rotel for tomatoes. I will be making this one again."
"This was so good to come home to after a long day of work and running the kids around, needless to say it was all gone no leftovers."
"This was wonderful. I didn't even use the sour cream or cilantro and my sweetie said it was awsome!"
"I would like to make this...but, I don't have a slow cooker"
"I could not find "Mexican diced tomatoes" so I used Red Gold diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers. I used skinless, boneless chicken breasts instead of the leg quarters and added the minced fresh cilantro and juice from 1/2 fresh lime to the rice. It was spicy but both my hysband and I liked it."