Tex-Mex Chicken Starter
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons each garlic powder, ground cumin, dried coriander and dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 medium onions, halved and sliced into rings
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine lemon juice, oil and seasonings. Add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, bring chicken and marinade to a boil in batches. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 6 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove chicken with tongs to a large bowl.
- In the drippings, saute onions and garlic until onions are crisp-tender. Pour over chicken and mix well. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Divide mixture among three freezer containers; cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before using.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 231 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Dec 10, 2016
"It's handy to keep in the freezer for a head start on three different meals."What are the 3 meals? Don't leave me wondering, please!
Aug 11, 2014
My family loves this over Fiesta rice - afraid it never makes it into freezer containers!
Jan 22, 2011
This is a delicious and easy preparation for chicken. If I don't have time to squeeze fresh lemons, I use 1 cup frozen lemonade concentrate instead of the 1/2 cup lemon juice.