Tex-Mex Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 envelope burrito seasoning
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8 hoagie buns, split
- Cut roast in half. Combine burrito seasoning and cocoa; rub over meat. Place peppers and onion in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker; top with meat. Combine broth and ketchup; pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim fat. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup onto each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 553 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1061mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 43g protein.
Oct 10, 2013
I would have to agree with the other 3 star review. With all the seasoning that went into this, it was rather bland. Wasn't bad, but don't see why I would ever choose this recipe over a basic pot roast except for the fact that the veggies were different. I suppose this could be jazzed up with some jalapeno. I didn't even taste the cocoa.
Sep 13, 2013
With the amount of burrito seasoning and cocoa powder, I expected the result to have more of a jazzy taste. While this recipe isn't bland, it didn't excite me enough to want to make it again. It's good but not good enough for an encore.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.