Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
Makesabout 2 pounds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped almonds, toasted, divided
- Butter a large baking sheet with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small bowl, combine semisweet and milk chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reaches 290° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup almonds. Immediately pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; spread with a knife when melted. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Let stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Break into 2-in. pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce-weight: 187 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 9, 2017
I have made this recipe hundreds of times, and it turns out perfect every time! I love how simple and easy it is! I've made it both with and without nuts.
Dec 1, 2015
Love this recipe. I don't use nuts per family requests. Does none know how long it can be stored. I usually make at least 10 different deserts on Christmas eve but would like to f ET some done ahead of time this year. Thans, Patty
Dec 12, 2014
This is wonderful toffee. The first time I made it I used unsalted butter. Bad choice. It needs the salt to have the correct texture. Made again with salted butter and had no problems. I pressed the almonds into the chocolate so they would stick better.
Dec 8, 2013
toffee is excellent! only problem I had is the chocolate topping breaking off when I broke it into pieces. any suggestions as to what I did wrong?
Mar 27, 2013
I have made this recipe four times and it is delicious. The only problem I had was the toffee would crumble sometimes. Not sure why. Too much butter maybe but that's my fault. Overall a great recipe.
Dec 12, 2012
I made this recipe this past weekend to be included on our annual Christmas trays. It is EXCELLENT! The best toffee I have ever tasted. I have never made toffee before and had never used a candy thermometer before. I had no problems or issues. I will be making the toffee again this weekend to give as gifts to co-workers. Thanks so much for sharing!
Dec 12, 2012
If you or someone you love are a toffee lover like me this is a must have in your recipe box.
Feb 6, 2012
I make this a few times a year and everyone always loves it. Aside from a few candy making issues (the mixture separating) I think I have finally got it perfect. I alos have a lot of fun playing around with toppings.
Jan 7, 2012
Great recipe. Everyone loved it!!
Nov 29, 2011
I have made this recipe every Christmas for the past 3 years. My family loves it! It is so easy and fast to make.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.