Teriyaki Flank Steak
Teriyaki sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, ginger and sesame oil combine in this overnight marinade that gives plenty of Asian flair to grilled flank steak. —Nancy Fairless of Clifton, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef flank steak
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Score the surface of the steak with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes. In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, five-spice powder and pepper.
- Pour 2/3 cup marinade into a shallow dish; add the steak and green onions and turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), brushing occasionally with reserved marinade.