Tenderloin Spinach Spirals
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 beef tenderloin roasts (2-1/2 to 3 pounds each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large, bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Set aside.
- Cut each tenderloin horizontally from the long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open so meat lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness; remove plastic wrap. Spread the spinach mixture over each tenderloin to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting a long side; tie at 1-in. intervals with kitchen string.
- Place seam side down on a greased rack in a shallow roasting pan; brush with oil. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 45-60 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Discard kitchen string; cut into 1/2-in. slices.
Aug 14, 2016
I cut this recipe in half. I did not have the egg substitute, so I used 1 beaten egg in its place. Due to some picky eaters, I left out the raisins and it was fine without it - probably great with them, but I knew I had to leave them out. I added a tablespoon of creamed cheese and a sprinkle of nutmeg to the spinach mixture, otherwise I stuck to the recipe. This was tasty and looked very nice on the platter. I considered serving it warm as a main course, but decided to use as a heavy appetizer. Next time I may sprinkle with dry steak seasoning (Montreal) on the outside of the roll over the oil before placing in oven. This makes an impressive and tasty dish.
Apr 20, 2014
This Recipe is our Easter dinner every year! I love it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.