Tender Turkey Meatballs
"I changed one of my recipes to come up with this healthier version," explains Jane Thoma of Monroe, Michigan. "Whether offered as appetizers, packed cold for picnics or served over spaghetti at dinner, these moist marjoram-seasoned meatballs are well-received."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 package (12 ounces) spaghetti
- 5 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 30 balls, about 1 in. each. Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 13-16 minutes or until juices run clear; drain.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Transfer meatballs to a large saucepan; add spaghetti sauce. Heat through. Drain spaghetti; top with meatballs and sauce.
Nutrition Facts5 each: 312 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1047mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Originally published as Tender Turkey Meatballs in Quick Cooking May/June 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.