- 3 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 bottles (10 ounces each) chili sauce
- 1 jar (8 ounces) grape jelly
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- In a large bowl, combine bread and milk. Squeeze excess milk out of bread; discard milk. To the bread, add onion, mustard seed, seasoned salt, garlic, egg, salt and pepper; crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine chili sauce, jelly and beef broth; slowly bring to a boil. Add meatballs; simmer for 30-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forTender Tangy Meatballs
"I made these for our company's open house and they were gone fast. Loved them!"
"GREAT recipe! wonderful flavor. my brothers love these meatballs! instead of spending a bunch of time browning the balls in a pan, i simply put them on a greased, foil lined baking sheet and place them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. i also used apricot jelly instead of grape. made these meatballs two times this week!"