- 2 pounds beef round steak (1 inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Cut meat into serving-size pieces and dredge in flour. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a skillet or Dutch oven, brown meat on both sides in oil. top with the onions and celery. Combine tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and oregano; spoon over vegetables. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over noodles if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTender Swiss Steak
"easy, Delicious.....I did drop in some mushrooms and cherry tomatoes near the end."
"Made this for an elderly friend asking for Swiss steak, he calls me the queen of swiss steak! This is an easy and very tasty recipe, made it for my family and got thumbs up."
"Very easy to make and delicious. A side dish is not needed."