Want to simplify your sugar cookies? Roll this buttery dough from our Test Kitchen into balls and dip them into colored sugar before baking.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Colored sugar and/or coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; dip tops in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned and tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Tender Sugar Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p61
Reviews forTender Sugar Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2014
"Love the tender sugar cookies"