Tender Sugar Cookies
Want to simplify your sugar cookies? Roll this buttery dough from our Test Kitchen into balls and dip them into colored sugar before baking.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Colored sugar and/or coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; dip tops in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 9-11 minutes or until lightly browned and tops are cracked. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 61 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Soft Sugar Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 2011