Tender Steak Fajitas Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and guacamole, optional
- 1. Thinly slice steak across the grain into strips; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion, tomato juice, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- 2. Add green and red peppers. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 3. Using a slotted spoon, spoon meat mixture down the center of each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Fold sides of tortilla over filling. Serve with sour cream and guacamole if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 fajita (calculated without optional ingredients): 340 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 549mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Tender Steak Fajitas
"This is great! I used Spicy V8 instead of the tomato juice to add a little more flavor. Also have used round steak with success. The last thing I like to do is put a bit of this under the broiler before serving to crisp it up."
"The flavor is okay, but the meat is too soft -- overcooked. I think I'll stick to my old stand-by that's fried."