Tender Salsa Beef
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the beef, salsa, brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Cover and cook on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef with rice and if desired sliced jalapeno. Freeze option: Freeze individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup beef mixture with 1/2 cup rice : 259 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 356mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
May 24, 2014
Really good! - Will make again!
May 11, 2014
The house smelled heavenly while it was cooking, but it didn't have much flavor when we ate. Thinking of using pork tenderloin next time, or even the burrito suggestion here.
Mar 22, 2014
Decent but not nearly as flavorful as I had hoped.
Sep 30, 2013
So easy and tasted great. Watch to make sure the meat doesn't get too dry - you may have to add liquid. Good over pasta as well as rice.
Sep 29, 2013
We loved this recipe in my house...so easy! Experiment with different kinds of salsa to change the flavor and the heat of this recipe!
Jun 27, 2013
This dish is seriously one of the best I have ever made. Such a great flavor and the beef really is tender and just falls apart in your mouth! I am going to make this at least once a month. I would not change anything about it. In the future I may try the mixture over noodles or mashed potatoes.
Feb 17, 2013
Loved how easy this was! We served it burrito style! Yummy!
Dec 1, 2012
This is an easy tasty dinner. I've served it over brown rice or in tortillas. I used Pace Picante Sauce and had plenty of moisture remaining. I keep cut up stew meat in the freezer so it's an easy go to recipe.
Sep 16, 2012
All the liquid cooked off so it was really dry. It said to use a slotted spoon to serve, but didn't need to because there was no liquid left to strain. Put on corn tortillas instead with extra salsa and sour cream to try and give it some moisture. We won't be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.