VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pat turkey dry; brush with oil. Sprinkle herb mixture over skin of turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place the bag in a roasting pan; add celery and onion. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close bag with tie provided.
- Bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Herb-Roasted Turkey in Simple & Delicious November/December 2009, p48
Reviews forTender Herb-Roasted Turkey
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2013
"In response to mchelle_99 --Flour is added to an oven bag to prevent it bursting."
Reviewed Oct. 4, 2013
"Why do you place flour in an oven bag? i'm assuming that the turkey needs to go in the bag as well"