VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, egg, sugar, shortening, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn on a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into 32 pieces. To form knots, roll each piece into a 10-in. rope; tie each into a knot and tuck ends under. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 13-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 32 rolls.
Originally published as Tender Dinner Knots in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p38