Tender Cranberry Muffins
I always make these delicately flavored muffins for the holidays. With tart ruby cranberries peeking out and a sugar-and-spice topping, they don't last long.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Fold in sour cream. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; stir into the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in sour cream. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; stir into the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two thirds full. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 274 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Muffins in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Mar 7, 2015
I have made these often and then lost the recipe. Searched on line until I found this one and said "yes, this is the one, because it has you folding in the sour cream in 2 different places in the recipe". This really needs to be corrected.