Tender Cloverleaf Rolls
Tender and tasty, these rolls have been a favorite among our friends and family for more than 23 years. I'm the official holiday baker for our clan, so I bake dozens of these come Christmas.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Beat in milk, sugar, egg, shortening and salt and 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Roll into 90 balls; place three balls each in greased muffin cups. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 122 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cloverleaf Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.