Tender Cherry Shortbread Cookies
I cant begin to imagine how many dozens of these lucious cookies I have made over the years. The drizzled chocolate catches the eye of everyone who walks past the cookie tray...and prompts them to try one or two. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender flowers, optional
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup white baking chips, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cornstarch and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in cherries and lavender if desired. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion into an 8-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. rectangle. Wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes before carefully removing to wire racks to cool completely. Drizzle each with melted dark and white chips. Let stand until set.
Editor's NoteLook for dried lavender flowers in spice shops. If using lavender from the garden, make sure it hasn’t been treated with chemicals.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 160 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Lavender Cherry Shortbread slices in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.