Tender Beef Brisket
A touch of sugar mellows the flavorful sauce that's drizzled over this brisket. The original recipe came to me from a friend. I revised it for the slow cooker. —Sondra Morrow, Mesa, Arizona.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed and cut in half
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the brisket in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until tender.
- Remove the beef; set aside. Pour the sauce into a saucepan; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 13-15 minutes or until reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally. Slice the meat across the grain; serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 253 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 464mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Tender Beef Brisket in Quick Cooking March/April 2004