Tender BBQ Chicken
“When we can’t barbecue on the grill, I bring out my pressure cooker for this fall-off-the-bone BBQ chicken,” relates field editor Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida. Her jazzed-up BBQ sauce adds good flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + releasing
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown chicken in batches. Press cancel. Return all to pressure cooker. Combine remaining ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. A thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 170°. If desired, thicken cooking juices.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested at 13 pounds of pressure (psi).