Tender BBQ Chicken
“When we can’t barbecue on the grill, I bring out my pressure cooker for this fall-off-the-bone BBQ chicken,” relates field editor Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida. Her jazzed-up BBQ sauce adds good flavor.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- In a pressure cooker, brown chicken in oil in batches over medium heat. Remove chicken and keep warm. Combine the barbecue sauce, onions and green pepper in pressure cooker. Return chicken to the pan; stir to coat.
- Close cover securely; place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed.) Remove from the heat; allow pressure to drop on its own.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested at 13 pounds of pressure (psi).
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested at 10/13/15 pounds of pressure (psi).
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 423 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 1114mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Quick Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home October/November 2005