Tender Bavarian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 beef top round roast (4 pounds) , halved
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides over medium-high heat. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the juice, tomato sauce, onion, vinegar, salt, cinnamon and ginger; pour over roast. Cover and cook on high for 5-7 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices until well combined. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until the meat is tender and gravy begins to thicken.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 230 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 753mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 31, 2017
Outstanding! Meat was fork-tender and gravy was top-notch!
Oct 26, 2014
I made this in the Crock Pot on Sunday and the house smelled delicious! I thought that the flavor was just OK. It smelled better than it tasted. It was overall too sweet. If I do it again, I will cut down on the juice and add some diced tomatoes or some other veggie to the pot.
Dec 16, 2012
Very easy, and since i used a crock pot liner it was easy to clean up after. As for the taste, i thought it was just ok, but my husband said it was really, really, really good!
Jun 17, 2012
My sisiter's Birthday Dinner- Yummo!
Jun 14, 2012
luv this delicious dinner,
Feb 21, 2012
Very different taste than what we're used to; my husband and I loved it!
Feb 25, 2011
This is by far the best roast I have ever made. It disappeared quick. It was moist and tender...it melted in your mouth. And the sauce had a really great flavor. We even used the sauce on the potatoes and veggies that I roasted!
Oct 22, 2009
This is an incredibly moist roast with a rich savory gravy. It is incredibly easy to make but is packed with a depth of flavor. I would recommend this to anyone!
Oct 18, 2009
Very dry meat--Tast is so so.
Sep 9, 2009
Re: Bavarian Pot RoastWHAT MAKES THIS "BAVARIAN"???