Teddy Bear Paws
"Since bear claws are my favorite sweet roll, I decided to lighten them up for a holiday brunch," explains the Spokane, Washington's Hollyce Swan. "Using a package of frozen cranberries that was leftover from Thanksgiving, I created these whimsical treats that are as tasty as they are cute."
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, bring the cranberries, sugar substitute and orange zest to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, eggs, butter, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Cut in half, forming two 16x6-in. strips. Spread cranberry filling down the center of each strip to within 1 in. of long edge. Fold lengthwise over filling and pinch seam to seal. Cut each strip into eight pieces. With a kitchen scissors, cut each piece two times from pinched seam to about 1 in. from folded side. Push an almond into the end of each section for bear claws.
- Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Curve folded side slightly to separate strips and allow filling to show. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; spread over rolls.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda no-calorie sweetener.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 223 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Teddy Bear Toe Nails in Light & Tasty December/January 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.