VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup minced chives
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Small piece sweet yellow pepper, diced sweet red pepper and chive pieces
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, place the chives and oil in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl; mash. Add the sour cream, salt, pepper and chive mixture; beat until blended. Keep warm.
- Using a small star-shaped cookie cutter, cut a star out of the piece of yellow pepper. Spoon potatoes into a pastry bag with a medium star tip; pipe onto a serving platter in the shape of an evergreen tree. Place star at top of tree; sprinkle with red pepper for ornaments. Place chive pieces at base of tree for needles. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tater Tree in Country Woman November/December 2005, p25