Tasty Whole Wheat Bread
Because you can bake this bread in loaf pans or on baking sheets, it's perfect for people who don't have four identical loaf pans. I give some loaves as gifts, then freeze the remaining for my family.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes4 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, butter, wheat germ, salt and 4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Shape into loaves. Place in four greased 8x4-in. loaf pans or on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteWarmed buttermilk will appear curdled.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 100 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Tasty Whole Wheat Bread in Best of Country Breads