Tasty Tortilla Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/3 cups crushed baked tortilla chip scoops
- 7 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and green onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro; heat through.
- For each serving, place 2 tablespoons chips in a soup bowl. Top with 1-1/2 cups soup. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon each of cheese and chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 256 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Dec 2, 2018
Made this for dinner tonight and we loved it. We used the tortilla chips we had in the pantry and added a spoonful of sour cream to each bowl of soup. Although next time I may substitute some picante salsa for either the tomatoes or tomato sauce. It would give it more of a kick.
Mar 28, 2017
This was very easy and tasty! I used milk instead of broth (I was wanting something creamy tonight!). Next time I may add some corn. Thanks for sharing!
Oct 15, 2015
Yum, delicious! I omitted the green onions and used only 1/2 onion. I used regular items rather than reduced sodium, added a little chili powder for a bit of spice, and instead of broth, I used chicken base and water. Next time, I might add some corn and black beans to make it chunkier.
Jul 22, 2015
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. This is one of the most simple recipes and so good. I buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grogery store and take meat off the bone in order to save time. We add lots of avocado, cheese and tortilla strips.
Apr 9, 2015
Delicious and very easy to put together!
Mar 25, 2014
Great recipe but needed more heat...added some cayenne and jalapenos. Perfect!
Mar 5, 2011
DH and I loved this! So did my daughter! So easy and so good. Not spicy at all, but it had great flavor.
Sep 20, 2009
Meant NOT spicy
Sep 20, 2009
Not sure how you could not think this is spicy. I should have tasted it as I went along I guess. Three people eating it and we all could not finish it.
Oct 19, 2008
I was a little skeptical at first, but this is delicious! Not spicy at all, which is good for me. I put the cooked chicken in while it simmered though, and the results were great.