Tasty Sloppy Joes
These sandwiches have been a hit with my family from the first time I served them years ago. They make a quick hearty meal along with soup or a salad. I like to make a large batch and freeze the leftovers. -Pauline Schrock, Sullivan, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 10 sandwich buns, split
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, milk, oats, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until meat is no longer pink. Transfer to an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine the ketchup, water, vinegar and sugar; pour over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 391 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 1058mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Tasty Sloppy Joes in Reminisce May/June 2002