Tasty Meatball Sub Sandwiches
I love experimenting in the kitchen. These tasty meatballs made with turkey were a family-pleasing results the first time I made them. They're so good, people don't always realize they're good for you as well.—Mary Stifflemire, Lexington, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free turkey gravy
- Hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Add turkey; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs, turning frequently. Add onion and mushrooms; cook until onion is tender. Add gravy; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 232 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 958mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Meatballs with Gravy in Country Woman September/October 1999
Jun 2, 2009
Since I had a pound of ground beef in freezer, thought I'd try this dish using it. Made beef gravy, threw small can of mushrooms in with it, and served over mashed potatoes. Delicious!!!