Tasty Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash each dried thyme, basil and oregano
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, lentils and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and barley are almost tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 219 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 601mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 14g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jan 3, 2017
Saute onion and celery is a good start for all soups. I cut the recipe in half. I added a beet along with the carrot. It takes about one hour to cook. Nice warm soup for a cold winter night.
Nov 12, 2014
This recipe was excellent, the only addition would be a little salt since everything is low sodium.