Tasty Lemon Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), baked
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, zest and butter until butter is melted. Set aside and keep warm.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Pour filling into crust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 246 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 8, 2015
Intense cooking process, but worth the effort! It set up nicely and tasted good - just like a lemon meringue pie should.
Mar 12, 2014
Eliska, you can make your own crust recipe, or they make refrigerated crust doughs as well. You can usually find those in tubes near the tubes of biscuits and crescent rolls. Most come with 2 sets of dough in case you are making a pie that has a crust on top as well as on bottom. Hope this helps.
Mar 3, 2014
I would really like to try this recipe. But I don't really understand how I am supposed to make the crust. Can somebody please help me? Thank you
Jan 6, 2014
The reason I tried this recipe was because it didn't have a lot of sugar like most other lemon pies I tried this recipe at least 4 times thinking it was just something I was doing wrong each & every time it would not set up, always runny. I even talked with taste of home specialists & they agreed not enough sugar to the water it calls for. very disappointed. good taste, not too sweet, but just won't set up..
Nov 21, 2012
This recipe does NOT call for enough thickener, egg yolks and calls for 1/2 cup too much water...which means it does not thicken properly. What a waste of time!! Now I have to start all over again
Mar 24, 2012
This is a really good recipe for sure. I don't like really tart lemon meringue pie's so this is good because it's more tame on the tart. But I would have to say it needs to be bigger because it is not enough filling for a large pie crust. But flavor is yummy for sure.
Apr 15, 2010
This is a good pie, I would like to have a more lemoning flavor though and more filling, It seemed as though not enough filling for a deeper pie dish, but overall it was good
Nov 29, 2008
this is a very shcumpish cake you should try it.