Tasty Italian Beef Sandwiches
I like to prepare this recipe on the weekend so it has time to marinate. Then we can have hearty sandwiches all week long. It's also ideal for entertaining.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 7 hot banana peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 20 to 24 hard rolls, split
- Place roast on a rack in a 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with salt; top with onions. Add 1/2 in. of water to pan. Cover with heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 350° for 2 to 2-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°-170°. Remove meat; set aside until cool enough to handle. Slice thin; place in a large bowl.
- Pour pan juices into a saucepan; add bouillon, peppers and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over beef; cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours. Reheat before serving. Serve 1/2 cup on each roll.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 241 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 631mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Italian Beef Sandwiches in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips