"Every year, we go on a 5-day camping trip and plan ahead for all of our meals," relates Lynn Johnson from Alexandria, Minnesota. "I always prepare and freeze this salad beforehand. It stays fresh right through to the last day."
Recommended: 20 Slider Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium green pepper, shredded
- 1 small onion, shredded
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, green pepper and onion. Add sugar; toss to coat. In a saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, mustard and celery seed. Bring to a boil. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Coleslaw may be frozen up to 3 months; remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Freezer Coleslaw in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p55