"When I make this mild apple dessert for our church's fellowship refreshment hour, people comment on how moist and tasty it is," says Tom Hall of Montrose, Pennsylvania. "Often they ask for seconds - and for the recipe!"
Recommended: Apple Pie-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (0.8 ounce) sugar-free cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, beat egg substitute for 1 minute on medium speed. Add applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually add to applesauce mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Applesauce Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p16