Tart ‘n’ Tangy Vegetables
We have a long growing season here, so we find many ways to use fresh vegetables from our garden. This is a Southern favorite in my family that is both easy and flavorful.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 4 small cucumbers, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- In a 1-1/2-qt. bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, pepper and salt. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to vinegar mixture.
- Stir in the cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Discard spice bag before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 76 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Tart and Tangy Vegetables in Country Extra May 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.