Tart ‘n’ Tangy Vegetables
We have a long growing season here, so we find many ways to use fresh vegetables from our garden. This is a Southern favorite in my family that is both easy and flavorful.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 4 small cucumbers, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- In a 1-1/2-qt. bowl, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, pepper and salt. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to vinegar mixture.
- Stir in the cucumbers, tomatoes and carrots. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Discard spice bag before serving.