- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge chicken. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
Add water, cranberries, brown sugar, nutmeg and, if desired, vinegar to the pan; cook and stir until the berries burst, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender, basting occasionally with the sauce. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place chicken in freezer containers; top with sauce. If desired, place rice in separate freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water to chicken if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forTart Cranberry Chicken
"review forgot the <> would i make this again-- question -- where does the taste come from ???"
"My family and I love this recipe. I am going to use pork chops for the first time."
"I love this recipe. Ive made it for the first time for my family when my son was a newborn...I loved it! I make it in the fall/early winter. Cranberry and chicken are my faves. Great combo!"
"I love this recipe so much that in the fall I stock up on cranberries to freeze so I can enjoy this meal all year around. It's so delicious and smells awesome when cooking. I serve it over plain couscous, but it's also good over rice."